Monday, June 16, 2008

Thinking about the gas...

It's sad to think about the cost of gas and therefore the cost of driving my Jeep to work and back...

17 MPG
$4.ll / gal
10.2 miles round trip
$1 toll fees round trip
((10.2 / 17) * $4.11)+$1 =

$3.47 per day
$24.29 per week
$105.84 per month

Just driving to and from work.

I keep trying to justify buying a bicycle by saying I would ride it to work and that it would pay for itself and I hadn't really done the math. By the numbers, I would have to ride the bike 7/12 months for it to pay for itself in fuel savings. If I committed to not spending more than $100 a month on fuel then It would pay for itself in 3½ months.

2 comments:

OutsidersIn said...

Hybrids are the way to go my friend... hope you're loving life in D.C.

Josh R said...

BAH! The Bicycle is a much better idea, you don't get in any better shape driving a hybrid.

http://www.threadless.com/product/562/Infinity_MPG

The only problem is the amount of time it takes to get there by bike as opposed to by Jeep. Might have to get up earlier in the morning.